I’m very proud of the work that I’ve been involved with creating an Omeka site to collect materials relating to the Houston Astrodome. The site, Astrodome Memories, includes materials from:
- Houston Area Library Automated Network, Houston Public Library
- Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library
- Harris County Archives
- Woodson Research Center Special Collections & Archives, Fondren Library, Rice University
- Special Collections, University of Houston Libraries
- Harris County Public Library
The site was developed in Omeka 2.2. The theme is a lightly modified version of the basic Seasons theme. Plugins used include Exhibit Builder, Shortcode Carousel, Commenting, Guest User, and CSV Import (extended version from Daniel Berthereau).
Right now there are two exhibits, one looking at the historical origins of the Astrodome and one providing access to the original blueprints. Additional exhibits planned for 2015 include one on changes to the structure made over time and one looking at events and special occasions in Astrodome history.
We have just begun opening up the site to community contributions beginning with an event celebrating the Astrodome’s 50th anniversary, where community members could bring items to be digitized. Additional scanning events are planned for 2015 and 2016, and community members will be able to submit their own digitized items as well.